Finding Help for Dyspraxia/DCD

People with Dyspraxia/DCD benefit most from one-to-one therapy. They need the support of qualified professionals on a regular basis to help them reach their full potential. Children with Dyspraxia/DCD need support and understanding in the educational system.

Our online support service is available to all those affected by Dyspraxia/DCD.  If you need help please contact us at and we will reply by email directing you to the most appropriate services. If you need to talk to us directly we can organise a call-back to discuss the matter further with you.


Your first point of contact is your local Assessment Officer who is responsible for your child's assessment. Each Local Health Office has an Assessment Officer and you can find the relevant details for your region here. The Assessment Officer can assist you with your child's application and help and support you through the process and is responsible for issuing your child's Assessment Report.    All assessments will be carried out in line with the standards endorsed by the Health Information and Quality  You will be encouraged to take part in your child's assessment. Click here to visit the HSE for further information on how the application process works.

If there is a long waiting list then you might consider engaging a private service. We would advise that you use an occupational therapist experienced in the area of Dyspraxia/DCD who will be able to provide you with a definite diagnosis. The Association of Occupational Therapists in Ireland (AOTI) have a range of registered clinicians who you can contact   

Dyspraxia/DCD Ireland will shortly be undertaking specific training for Occupational Therapists in carrying out best practice assessments. When this training is completed we will list all registered practitioners on our website for ease of contact.

A Clinical Psychologist and a neurologist can also provide and confirm a diagnosis of Dyspraxia/DCD, if it is present, whilst ruling out any other underlying medical conditions. For further information please contact


If speech and language therapy has been recommended you can contact the The Irish Association of Speech & Language Therapists (IASLT).


Once there is a concrete diagnosis of Dyspraxia/DCD, your child is entitled to resource hours. A Special Needs Assistant (SNA) may be allocated if 'significant care' for the child is required. Typically the child may have access to an SNA to help overcome specific challenges, for example organising locker and books, until such time that your child learns how to do it themselves.

The purpose of the SNA scheme is to provide for the significant additional care needs which some pupils with special educational needs may have.


  • Occupational Therapy Assessments and Intervention to children up to 18 years of age
  • Physiotherapy Assessments and Ongoing Exercise Programmes
  • A Counselling Psychologist for Children and Parents
  • Psychotherapist for Children, Teens and Adults with Dyspraxia/DCD
  • Clinical Psychologist for Children, Teens and Adults with Dyspraxia/DCD
  • Educational Psychologist for Children and Teens with Dyspraxia/DCD
  • Occupational Therapy Assessment for Adults with Dyspraxia/DCD
  • Drama Therapist for Children and Teens with Dyspraxia/DCD
  • Child Psychiatrist support if overlapping other condition exist
  • Speech and Language Therapy

For more information on any of these therapies please contact us via our contact form.

Privacy Statement

Site Map